Mitchell Community College horizontal burgundy logo.

Steps to Enrollment
​​​​​​​burgundy divider


At Mitchell, we know continuing your education can be a big step. Start your journey by completing the steps below. Mitchell is open to serve students remotely and in person. If you need help applying, please contact (704) 978-5493 or

Program Areas
blue divider line

Mitchell offers four college transfer programs for students who plan to continue their education at a senior institution:

  • Associate in Arts (A.A.)

  • Associate in Science (A.S.)

  • Associate in Fine Arts (A.F.A.)

  • Associate in Engineering (A.E.)

49erNext is a program for Mitchell Community College students who plan to transfer to UNC Charlotte to pursue a bachelor’s degree. Learn more by clicking here. 

Mitchell offers Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) degrees, diplomas, and certificates for students who intend to enter the workforce after graduation.

Admissions Requirements by Student Type

burgundy divider

How to Apply
Degree-seeking students must present proof of high school graduation or high school equivalency diploma. Minimum age of 18 with or without a high school diploma.

Complete an application for admission. The application requires two steps:

1. NC Residency Determination – 
2. Mitchell Community College admission application

(Your username and password will be the same for both steps of the application)​​​​​​​

Once an admission application has been processed students will receive official communication from the Admissions Office via email and mail that includes information about the next steps in the admissions process.

Application processing time is approximately 24-48 business hours.

Submit official copies of transcripts or records from high schools and all postsecondary schools attended, or acceptable high school equivalency scores. If an associate degree or higher has been earned, high school transcripts/high school equivalency scores are not required.

Official transcripts may be sent via mail to either campus’ admissions office, or via a secure, third-party transcript service to High school transcripts may also be requested through at no charge (student must know HS Student ID # to request a transcript through this method).

High School Graduates

In order to be admitted as a degree-seeking student, applicants must present official transcripts from a public, private, or home school that is recognized under state law at the time of graduation.

Online high schools must meet the additional requirement of being accredited by a recognized accrediting agency at the time of graduation. A list of recognized accrediting agencies may be found on the following websites:

High School Equivalency Students

In order to be admitted as a degree-seeking student, applicants must present proof of high school equivalency diploma.

High school equivalency transcripts may be requested through

Meet with an Admissions Specialist to discuss placement needs and next steps. Appointments may be scheduled through the following link:

An individual who does not want to earn a degree, diploma or certificate, can enroll as a special credit student. The student should complete an application and indicate SPECIAL CREDIT STUDENT as the program of interest. Special credit students must meet prerequisites or corequisites. Special credit students must meet with an Admissions Specialist to determine course eligibility. Students who wish to convert from “special” to “degree-seeking” must complete the full admissions process, including placement testing. Degree requirements are based on the catalog in effect at the time of the status change.

Applicants who have not attended for one or more years must submit a new application (three consecutive semesters).

Applicants must meet with an Admissions Specialist to determine if any placement testing is needed. Applicants will discuss any changes to the curriculum since their last date of attendance with an advisor. Applicants for readmission to limited enrollment programs must follow regular admission procedures for those programs.

Transfer students may enter Mitchell after meeting all admission requirements. Mitchell will accept credits (with equivalent credit hours and course content) from all institutions within the North Carolina Community College System and from other accredited colleges. Students may transfer credits earned at other institutions if the grades meet Mitchell’s academic standards and if Mitchell receives documentation proving that equivalent competencies were met. Mitchell must receive official transcripts for the student to receive transfer credit. Final acceptance or rejection is at the discretion of the College. Applicants must meet with an Admission Specialist to determine if any placement testing is needed. A minimum of 25% of the credits required for a degree, diploma or certificate must be earned at Mitchell, in order to be eligible for graduation.

For further information about transfer credit or transcript evaluations, please visit the Office of Student Records page.

Students accepted by or enrolled at another institution may enroll at Mitchell as a visiting student. Visiting students must complete an application and should have permission from an official at their home institution. This official should specify the courses the student can take at Mitchell. The student should only enroll in courses specified by their home institution and must meet any required prerequisites or their equivalents.

For these programs, applicants must meet additional requirements that may include mathematics and science courses, certifications, physical (medical) exams, etc. Some of these programs have more applicants than available space and may have specific application deadlines. Competitive enrollment programs include:

• Associate Degree Emergency Medical Science

• Associate Degree Nursing

• Medical Assisting

• Paramedic to Associate Degree Nursing

• Medical Laboratory Technology (with Southwestern Community College)

• Speech Language Pathology Assistant (with Caldwell Community College and Technical Institute)

• Health Information Technology (with Pitt Community College)

Mitchell Community College is not a school sponsored under SEVP, Student Exchange and Visitor Program, and as such, does not sponsor student visas. For a list of schools that sponsor these visas, students may visit

Non-US Citizen students will need to contact the Admissions Office prior to submitting an admission application to confirm eligibility requirements.

Residency status is not determined by Mitchell Community College. In order to apply to Mitchell Community College, an applicant will need to complete the residency application through the North Carolina Residency Determination Service (RDS). For more information, please visit, or call 1(919) 835-2290.

A legal resident must have maintained his or her domicile in North Carolina for at least twelve months prior to his or her classification as a resident for tuition purposes. For information regarding tuition and fees for in and out of state residents, please see the college catalog section on Tuition and Fees (page 21-22).

Veterans who have separated from the service within the last three years may qualify for Section 702 of the Choice Act. Please see the School Certifying official for more information regarding In-state tuition.

If any changes occur to an initial residency determination it is the responsibility of the student to notify the College of these changes.

Admissions Office Locations and Hours

blue divider line


Statesville Campus

Eason Student Services–Suite 102

(704) 978-5493

Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday: 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Tuesday: 8 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.

Friday: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Mooresville Campus

Building A–Office 207

(704) 978-5415

Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday: 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Tuesday: 8 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.

Friday: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.