Mitchell Community College is dedicated to maximizing the academic outcomes of all minority male students. To achieve this goal, Mitchell sponsors the Minority Males program. The purpose of Minority Males is to address and increase the progression and completion rates of minority male students across all community colleges in North Carolina. The Minority Males program offers:
Guidance and Mentoring
Access to a network of on-campus peers
- The mission of Minority Females is to provide personal and academic support that nurtures and empowers Mitchell’s female students.
- This mission is accomplished by providing
- Scholarship, and
- Enrichment opportunities.
- The Mitchell Community College Summer Advantage Program is designed to help first year students gain college experience and develop a network of support prior to the beginning of their first year. Summer Advantage serves a diverse community of first year students in a six-week academic program. Students take one course, and meet staff who will support them during the academic year. The one course is ACA 122 College Transfer Success. Students engage in activities to support their academic and social experiences.
- FUTURES is a STEM outreach program that empowers community college faculty, staff, and students to connect with their local community through sharing their personal STEM stories. This program is funded by the NC GSK Foundation. This program is designed to teach participants how to create and present their own personal success story. Participants will attend two workshops.
- HopeCheck is used to monitor students’ well-being to try to help students before they experience a crisis. HopeCheck will keep the administrator informed about your well-being and can reach out and provide support in a timely manner if needed. Once a week you’ll receive an automated HopeCheck text message asking you to self-score your hope from zero (no hope) to ten (very hopeful). Just text back your score and you’re done!