Safety & Security
The Mitchell Community College Safety and Security Department is committed to providing an environment to allow students, staff, faculty and the community to interact on campus in a safe and secure learning environment.
Safety on Campus
Each person has responsibility for personal safety and protection of personal property. We recommend that you:
- Stay alert and be familiar with the campus and buildings.
- Notify security of any threats made against you, another person, or Mitchell Community College.
- Notify security if you see or hear anything suspicious.
- Avoid leaving books, book-bags, purses or personal items unattended.
- Lock your office door when going out, even if you will only be gone for a short time.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Become familiar with building floor plans so you can exit safely in case of fire or other emergency. Make note of disabled students or faculty and develop team plans to help them in an emergency.
- Learn where fire extinguishers and first aid kits are located.
- Lock your vehicle and secure your valuables out-of-sight in the trunk.
- Have your car keys in hand when walking to your vehicle and scan the area and the inside of your vehicle before entering it.
- Display a Mitchell Community College parking permit in your back window so that security can locate you on campus if an incident occurs involving your vehicle.
- If you need an escort to your vehicle after dark, in Statesville, call Security at (704) 880-0172 or the Main Switchboard at (704) 878-3200; in Mooresville, call Security at (704) 880-0380 or the receptionist at (704) 663-1923.
- Drive slowly and safely in the parking lots to ensure safety for pedestrians.
- Notify security of any motor vehicle accident. Minor motor vehicle accidents in campus parking lots are generally not investigated by local law enforcement unless there is personal injury or substantial damage.
- Director, Safety and Security, (704) 978-5444
- Administrative Assistant, (704) 878-4367
- Shift Supervisor, (704) 878-4376